Origin is a gaming platform allowing users to play multiplayer sports like FIFA, Battlefield etc. which needs team coordination. It has a store where players can buy gaming stuff. Origin launcher is powered by EA and features like in-game overlay, cloud saving and, live gameplay streaming into the origin client etc. are available for the users.
Now a lot of users with complaints about origin not opening are coming up – that is when they launch origin client to play their choice of games, origin won’t open, will not respond or launch. Many other problems like a program running in the background and minimising in the system are also cropping up.
So here we will discuss things like why origin won’t open, what fixes can mitigate the situation of origin not opening etc. So stay tuned till the end.
Why won’t origin open?
Before tackling the issue of origin not opening, let’s focus on the reasons behind origin not opening. Because fixing this issue will need knowledge of the cause beforehand so that a proper solution can be applied. Now let’s get on those underlying causes for which origin won’t open-
- Issues cropping up due to origin updater – the reason can as easily be the origin updater updating the client thus leading to the situation when the client stops responding when getting updated in the background.
- Corrupted files – Files stored in cache if gets corrupted being stored can lead to issues such as origin not opening or launching.
- Temporary files – for smooth running, sometimes the clients will store temporary files and with the passage of time, if it gets corrupted can lead to issues leading to disturbance in launching and cases where origin won’t open.
- Problems due to core origin files– It is possible that there is some bug or problem with the core files of the client leading to origin not launching or responding. In cases as such, it is essential to reinstall the origin client.
Fix: Origin Won’t Open Error
Fixes which can help origin to open are discussed below one by one –
Deleting the cache files
If the problems are because of cache files then the most simple way to get rid of the problem is by deleting them.
- The first class the origin client if it’s running using task manager.
- Now on keyboard press the windows logo key and R to start the run dialog.
- Then on the dialog type %ProgramData% and press the enter key.
- In the screen which popped up look for the origin folder.
- Double click and open the origin folder.
- Delete all the files and folders except the LocalContent folder.
- Now you can try running the origin client gain to see if the problem solved or not.
Of the issue of origin not opening still exists then it’s time to delete the temporary files.
Deleting the temporary files
Deleting these temporary files can lead to origin creating fresh files this solving the problem. So follow the steps to delete these temporary files which are most probably corrupted-
- In the search bar, type folder and click enter.
- Try finding hidden files and folders from the options available.
- Now under advanced settings select the options to show hidden files, folders, and drives and click on OK.
- Now get the run dialog box on with windows key and R shortcut.
- Write “%AppData%” and press enter key.
- Once the pop screen opens up, delete the origin files stored in both the local and roaming folders.
- Try running origin client again to check if the issue has been solved.
You can also try restarting the PC again before trying to open the origin client.
Still if origin won’t open, then the next solution is to run the program compatibility troubleshooter.
Running the program compatibility troubleshooter
This occurs when your windows version is incompatible with the origin client so the best bet is getting your system updated or running program compatibility troubleshooter.
- Right-click on the origin client icon and start the properties.
- Click on the compatibility of the pop-up screen.
- Run the compatibility troubleshooting option.
- Choose the Try recommended settings options, follow the instructions to see if the problem is solved or not.
- Rerun if origin won’t open, select the second option of the compatibility settings to see what works best.
- If the problem of origin, not opening, still persists, follow the mentioned settings manually and select ok.
- If the windows version is incompatible, update or revert back to the version which is best.
- Disable the full-screen optimisation, sometimes origin client gets accepted due to low FPS.
- Run the origin client as an administrator, origin does not work properly if it gave administrator privileges.
If the above fixes don’t work then origin won’t then one should try other following solutions.
Perform a clean reboot
The clean boot is troubleshot techniques which makes you to manually disable all startups and services such that the problematic program can be identified.
Follow the steps mentioned below to solve the issue-
- Open the run dialog box by clicking on the windows and R key on the keyboard.
- Type MSConfig on the dialog box and press enter key from the keyboard.
- This leads you to open in popup screen of the system configuration window.
- Click in the services tab in the menu list which appears.
- Tick or checkmark the hide all Microsoft services option and then click disable all.
- Click the startup tab and open task manager.
- Now in the task manager, for each startup item, select the item and click in disabled.
- Go back in systems configuration and click ok.
- Restart your PC.
- Now you need to restart origin app and see whether it works.
- If origin works normally then you will have to go back to system configuration and enable a startup at a time and relaunch the origin. You will also require to restart your PC to apply your selections.
- This is a thorough process but doing it one by one systematically and manually will be you weed out the problematic software thus you can uninstall that one and enjoy your games.
If this doesn’t work then the only thing you can try is reinstalling the program on your device again.
Reinstall Origin Client
See if the problem of origin does not function properly or not opening persists then the only solution is reinstalling the origin client.
It is though that last resort, one can go for, with all latest setup. This will not delete your origin games but you may need to re-add them.
In the control panel (open it through the search, or taskbar, or you can search for it using the run dialog box) – look for the options program.
Now from the programs menu click on the uninstall a program option.
Find the origin client and uninstall the program application.
Now download the origin program which is the latest version and run the set up after it’s downloading is over. Reinstall it and wait, now your problem of origin file not opening should be solved and you can peacefully enjoy playing your games with origin client.
How to know if the Origin is Updating?
Letting the origin client update can also be required for it to work and checking it is essential before testing is other fixes.
For this open the task manager from the taskbar and look for origin application.
See if the application is taking any bandwidth of your internet, this will assure that no updates are running, once it is so you can go start deleting the cache files or following fixes to solve the problem of origin not opening.
Is my graphics driver causing this problem?
Updating the graphics driver is essential.
It is possible that issue of origin, not opening can occur due to outdated graphics drivers. Io dating the graphics driver can be a quick fix that can improve the performance of the origin client and solve the problem. You can download software like Driver Easy to get your problem solved easily of you can’t update manually.
Can my antivirus software be creating some problem?
It is the plausible reason behind the malfunction, as the origin client consumes a lot of memory and CPU usage, the antivirus which goes deep in the system can take it as a threat at times. So you can try adding Origin as an exception to your third-party antivirus software to see if it still origin opens or not.
Does the windows compatibility issue is creating the problem for the origin and that’s why origin won’t open?
It is possible that the latest windows update can create some problems for the origin client version. So the best thing you can do is go for trying the program compatibility troubleshooter. Or you can simply update the windows as you see fit. Restart your PC once the update is finished and see whether the origin client is working or not. If you still can’t open origin, then you may need to reinstall the entire program as there may be underlying issues such as a corrupt file or some malware present. This should solve the problem.